7.07.2011

tough

Firstly, let me admit something I don't usually broadcast: I don't like girls very much. You can ask my guy friends. I start a lot of our conversations with a sigh and the statement, "ihategirls."

But wait! you think. Tess, you silly creature, you ARE a girl!

You caught me.

I don't particularly like the whole girl subculture. Too many of my female classmates are catty, spoiled, selfish, backstabbing bitches (no offense to the girls of NHS. I do love a lot of you, just not all. Plus, if you're reading this, I sincerely doubt you're one of the catty snobs). Girls, in general, place too much emphasis on fashion, looks, love and perfection.

Here's a secret. I.am.not.perfect. 


And I don't pretend to be.

But some of my peers insist that it exists and they go to crazy lengths to reach it, usually putting down others to push themselves higher. There's too many mind games, too much emotional manipulation and very little honesty. The great thing about guys is that they're brutally honest.

Even though I regard female society with contempt, I still get sucked into it on occasion. Wedding shows on TLC are my weakness and they sometimes send me into a wedding binge--I spend a furious three hours looking at the white dresses and reception venues online, tell myself I'm being crazy and switch to picking out baby names, as if that's any less crazy.

One of my good friends is crazy with me. We've decided we're literally insane, but because we're girls, we can't help it. We're hardwired to over-think things, think crazy, hopeful thoughts and dream about the future. It's more of a curse than a blessing, because we're setting ourselves up for disappointment and heartbreak.

Sometimes it's tough being a girl.

1 comment: