12.02.2010

the best and worst of december

"As we get older, time goes faster."
~some book I read once.

To be perfectly honest, I'm starting to get that haunting feeling that another year has gone by too fast, something I hate about December. Sometimes I wonder exactly how fifteen years have already escaped from me, how I am in high school, how I've come this far in such a short amount of time. I feel like it can't possibly be 2011 just next month, because I remember 2001 so vividly it can't have been ten years ago. It's like the years have been passing sneakily behind my back and I only just turned around and realized that a whole decade has gone by.

My friend ran for vice president this year, and a line in her campaign speech was, "there are some days we can't wait to grow up, and other days we never want to." It's very Peter-Pan, but also so, so true. That's why I'm making a goal of appreciating my high school years, because they're going to slip by too fast if I'm not careful to make the most of them.

On the flip side, one of my favorite things about December is, of course, Christmas :) I don't enjoy the crazy commerical aspect of it, and my friends call me Scrooge because I refuse to get into the holiday spirit before December 1st, but I adore seeing Christmas lights decorate the dark neighborhoods, the scent of pine needles and apple pies and spending time with my cousins. There's a glow in family that only occurs around Christmastime, something that makes us all a little more charitable, a little more cheerful.

The wonderfully simple appeal of Christmas is that it is warm. Hot chocolate. Fireplaces. Red. Green. Candles. Lights. Candy. Hugs. Music. Food. Friends. Family.

And yes, gifts :)

Here is a cute Christmas song you haven't heard before, by the beautiful little band Brighten (they're my new obsession)...
Enjoy the rest of your 2010...make the most of the month you have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment