12.09.2010

my daily internet travels

Despite the fact my computer is older than am I and is both pitifully and painfully slow, I have my daily internet routine whenever I get the chance to explore the vast land of the word wide web, which, between homework, school, dance, chores and sleep, isn’t as often as I’d like.

Anyhow. Here are the enjoyable little sites I frequent:

Facebook. For obvious reasons.

Amirite.com is what I went to after MLIA became annoying and overloaded with fake, immature okay-seriously-you-need-to-stop-now posts. Basically, it’s a site stuffed with clever little thoughts, strong opinions and wittily worded puns…you vote on whether or not you think the person is “rite.”

I usually meander on over to Youtube watch some =3 because Ray William Johnson’s a tad bit hilarious in that yeah-i-did-just-say-something-offensive-but-don’t-deny-it-was-funny kind of way. We all bash people on the internet—but somehow it’s more entertaining to see some guy with a comic book background and spikey hair tease these unfortunate internet sensations.

Then I lurk on over to a brilliant little blog called The Path Before Forever, written by a senior at my school who I’ve never actually talked to (ope…). The pictures she posts are gorgeous and she has wonderfully thought-provoking entries.

And then I spend at least half an hour on the Spartz Network, created by two college students named Gaby and Emerson (I think they’re engaged?). The byline for their first site, Givesmehope.com, used to be “Like FML, but for Omtimists!” and I suppose that is the best description. It is all user-submitted stories about random acts of kindness, or touching sacrifices people make for one another. It really does give you hope that maybe the world isn’t such a bad place after all J

Next up in the Spartz Network lineup in my personal favorite, Lovegivesmehope.com, similar in the fact of having uplifting contents, unique in the respect that all of them are about love, the sweet kind of things we all wish our boyfriend/significant other did or said or thought. It makes you believe in those gushy Valentine’s Day sentiments about soul mates and true love. Just a warning, don’t visit it for a while after a breakup; it won’t be a pleasant experience.

Then there’s Omg-facts.com, which is actually quite useless but highly interesting and great preparation for the improbable situation of winding up on Cash Cab. For example, I bet you didn’t know that George Washington was not technically the first person in America with the title of “President.”

There’s also Sixbillionsecrets.com, which I admit I don’t go on every day, because it is much darker than the other Spartz sites. The point of the website is to share user-admitted, anonymous secrets, which usually deal with terrible stories of rape, depression, self harm and death. To be honest, I’m not even sure why I read it as often as I do—maybe to remind myself that no matter how often or how much I complain that my life sucks, I have it pretty good.

And after I’m all done with the Spartz Network, I go on Pandora and jam out to music personally selected for me (sounds snobby, doesn’t it? But that’s just what Pandora does, and it’s kind of awesome)…usually, no one has ever heard of my bands or my music—people scroll through my iPod and find maybe two songs they know, then give me a strange look and hand it back, creating an awkward moment of wow-you’re-so-cool-with-all-your-semi-obscure-music. I don’t mind, though, because nobody ever wants to listen to my iPod, meaning I don’t usually have to share.

I do feel like I visit more websites than this, but they must not be particularly important if I can’t think of them.

Have a good weekend, kids.

1 comment:

  1. Ah. I was creeping through my traffic feeds on Blogger and found that some people had found my blog through yours. I was trying to figure out how and why, and this post just made my entire day!

    I don't know who you are but THANK YOU for the compliment. I don't bite, you should talk to me sometime :)

    ReplyDelete