4.23.2011

a failed test (day 20)

Imma finish this. You just watch.

Day 20: How important you think education is.

I live in an extremely affluent suburb. Our public education system is ranked as one of the best in the state and college is not only encouraged, it's expected. The kids in classes are the types that stay up until one or two AM to finish all their homework--going to bed before eleven is an unheard of luxury. Going to bed before two is an unheard of luxury for the upperclassmen taking AP classes.

We have an overwhelming amount of brainiacs in my school (we also have our fair share of potheads, but whatever) and there is a very high level of academic stress from both faculty and parents. It's the way the community operates.

Recently, however, attention has been brought to the fact that this high level of pressure isn't exactly mentally healthy--in the past ten or so years, we've had at least eight suicides and two or three "tragic accident" deaths, some of which may have also been suicide. Most of the students killed themselves at least partly due to the enormous amount of stress from grades and school.

I sincerely hope that you have never had to deal with a classmate's death. It is simply awful.

Because of all this, I have maybe a slightly cynical view of education and its importance. No doubt, it is vital to succeeding financially in life, and I will admit, I have plead with my friends to do their homework, guilting them with the whole "if-you-don't-do-your-homework-you-won't-go-to-college-and-you-won't-get-a-job-and-you'll-be-homeless-and-die-alone" speech.

But really, education shouldn't be important enough to cause suicides. It is supposed to help you, not agonize you.

I love my school. Honest. And I am a fully-fledged nerd and I stress over grades all the time. I value education, and I recognize that I am so, so lucky to live in a town where people care so much about it. I am getting opportunities other students will never have. I appreciate that.

But I don't care to the extent that those poor kids did. My mental health--and yours--are more important than a failed test.

No comments:

Post a Comment