5.29.2011

little monster?

Hello interwebs. I have not died, no worries.

So apparently I'm a newborn little monster, which is strange in and of itself, considering I have spent the better part of two years scoffing at Lady Gaga's bizarre antics and suggestive songs. Because there's no ignoring the fact this woman is a freak. I'm sorry. No matter how expressive and supportive she is, she still wore a dress made of raw meat and requested corpses on her stage. And yes, she pissed me off when she started moaning about how she still feels like a "freakin' loser kid in high school" while in the dressing room of Madison Square Garden. 

She's a freak. But maybe that's not an entirely bad thing. Glee described her as "the queen of self-love" and considering how many people starve and cut and hurt these days, our culture could use a strong little dose of self-love. 

There's just something about the way she conducts herself. She honestly doesn't care what other people think (hello, no pants) and she loves her fans. She really loves her fans. I watched one of her concerts on HBO and she was literally inspiring the hell out of everybody there. She was inspiring my guts out, and I was lounging on the couch. 

She promotes this idea that is so refreshing and so needed--that you're perfect just the way you are, and you don't have to change. We must have heard those words a thousand times when we were little, but they got lost when we grew up and started reading magazines and watching TV and roaming out deeper into the uglier parts of society. 

It's nice to hear those words again, because most people I know have stopped believing in them.

I won't start talking about the media, because we've all heard that rant seven trillion times and it's always the same. Personally, I feel contempt for people who go on tangents about the media. It's like...yeah, we know. Shut up now, this doesn't make you sound sophisticated. 

But we all know how the media can be a little self-damaging sometimes, and that's the main idea. Here's this singer who loves who she is and who her fans are and what she does, and she isn't asking or hinting that anyone should change.

And that's frigging awesome.

I know I'm not a fully-fledged little monster, considering I still have some issues with Lady Gaga's choices. I respect them, but I don't like them. I don't like the way she puts on so much makeup sometimes she looks like an alien, but that is her choice and if it floats her boat, well, kudos to her. I didn't like her breakdown in the dressing room because I'm not going to feel bad for you if you make millions of dollars for doing something that you love. She called herself a loser.

There are plenty of worse things to be than a loser. I'm a loser, and I love it.

And maybe I'm a little monster, and I'd love that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment