3.15.2011

selfish people suck

Selfishness is a human flaw. We are all selfish to a certain extent simply because we are not perfect and we will never be perfect. We all care about ourselves and we all want. That's normal.

I am selfish. I know it and I own it. I use it as an apology, as an excuse, as an explanation. I complain and whine and vent like crazy. I abuse my friends' listening skills and make them stay up until ungodly hours talking to me. I ask my parents for money. I feel sorry for myself more often than I probably should, and self pity always equals selfishness.

That said, I'm going to be a hypocrite now and say that selfish people--reallyreally selfish people--make me want to scream. They make me sick.

I hate the people so wrapped up in their own lives that all they can do is talk about themselves. I hate the people whom expect everyone else to be as concerned about their lives as they are. I hate the people who never ask about your day. I hate the people who take themselves too seriously because they think they're crazy mature and talented and ultra fabulous. I hate the people who constantly fish for compliments. I hate the people who are incapable of laughing at themselves.

Honestly, learning to laugh at myself is one of the most important lessons I've learned thus far in my teenage life. If you can laugh at yourself, other people won't be laughing at you, but with you. Laughing at yourself means you realize that you're not perfect, that you are flawed and make mistakes--you spill and you cry and you whine and you bitch and you bleed and you fight and you get dirty and you shout and take and you fail and you fall.

Selfish people don't want to admit they are flawed. They don't want to admit that they have problems and emotional baggage and they embarrass themselves and sometimes even snort, just like the rest of the human race. Selfish people put others down so that they can feel better and more accomplished, superior to the average Joe. Selfish people like to think they have this special little bubble around them, making them prettier and smarter and stronger than the rest of us. Selfish people aren't concerned with anyone other than themselves because in their minds, they are just so much more important that your life couldn't possibly be interesting.

And that is why selfish people suck.

2 comments:

  1. This is why I love ya, girl. Keepin' it real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Who is this about? And you better not say me cause I ask you how you are every single day"

    ReplyDelete