3.22.2011

top ten most annoying cliches

I detest cliches. There are so many fabulous words in the English language, why bother using the same ones over and over and over?

  • dead as a doornail. I'm sorry, but what? Someone explain to me what a doornail is, and why somebody murdered it.
  • pretty as a picture. You could be referring to a picture of a donkey. Or a troll. In which case it wouldn't be much of a compliment.
  • deep as the ocean. just go home.
  • if i had a nickel. I'm sorry, but you don't. So kindly shut up.
  • raining cats and dogs. Honestly, who thought this up? Think about it. It literally makes no sense. If it rained cats and dogs, we would have a serious problem on our hands. On the bright side, maybe I'd actually get a dog.
  • ants in his pants. It poses as clever because it rhymes. It's not clever, it's irritating.
  • tickle your fancy. Fancy is not a body part. The idea of naming a body part "fancy" makes me uncomfortable.
  • cold as ice. Come on. I know can do better. Besides, ice isn't even that cold. Frozen nitrogen, that's cold (Did I overstep the nerd boundary there?)
  • he's on fire! No, he's not. He's just totally owning everyone else in the game. Just because you can swish a three-pointer doesn't mean that your skill magically evolve into flames.
  • I'm jut pulling your leg. except that you weren't pulling my leg. If you had been, I would have done something about it.

1 comment:

  1. this is great insight on the hisory paper you're writing... (FOCUS)

    ReplyDelete