1.10.2011

in my own words (day 4)

Religion is a really tricky topic, especially in my family. My mother is a hardcore Catholic and expects me to be the same--ultimately, I think I disappoint her because she expects me to believe in God the way she does and I don't. Personally, I think the Catholic church has too many rules--women can't be priests, priests cannot marry, being gay is a crime against God, etc. The church tends to contradict itself--I mean, if God loves everyone equally, why are we leaving gay people out in the cold, and why can't women take holy orders? Half of the stuff in the Bible doesn't make a ton of sense.

That being said, I am not an atheist...I believe in God, just not the same God my mother and her wicked Catholic upbringing believes in. I believe that everything happens for a reason and that life is far too intricate to have all happened by chance. I believe in karma and redemption and second chances, and I believe God is the power behind these things. I believe something must happen to you after you die, because death can't be the only reward for living a full life.

I'd like to add that by no means do I judge or think little of people who are atheists--everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and beliefs, especially about something as personal as religion, and it is not my place to attempt to force them into faith, as my mother tends to do to me. Even though I am skeptical of the Catholic church, I don't have the strength to explain this to my family--in all honesty, it would cause a feud, and I haven't found a religion yet that I'd convert to.

 So I guess for the mean time, I'll stay a superstitious, quasi-agnostic and continue to pray, not using the ancient "our father who art in heaven" but instead, in my own words.

No comments:

Post a Comment